My photo
I am an editor at the University of California Press and author of the first full-length handbook ever published on the subject of developmental editing.

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Spousal Support

When an author balks at an editorial suggestion I’ve made, it is not uncommon for her to cite the opinion of her spouse or colleagues. We publishers get this unsolicited “survey” feedback all the time. An author will say, “I showed your cover design to everyone in my office and we all agree that it’s an ugly shade of blue.” The very fact that you’ve approached a colleague with the cover implies that you’re unhappy with it, and she will probably respond by telling you what you want to hear. Your spouse has even more to lose by disagreeing. This is called tainting the jury pool. Authors, think twice before discounting your publisher’s decisions in favor of those of your friends and loved ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment