My photo
I am an editor at the University of California Press and author of the first full-length handbook ever published on the subject of developmental editing.

Sunday, October 11, 2009

I Saw the Need for DE Deepening on University Campuses

Entry 3: October 11, 2009

By Amy

I fell into editing as a graduate student as a part-time job, working for a professor, and enjoyed it. When tenure-track jobs in my own field (English) evaporated after I graduated, I saw the need for developmental editing deepening on university campuses as presses seemed able to provide less and less of it. I had taught writing for years and published my own book by then and was able to translate that into a job working with faculty on developmental editing issues. I also facilitate lectures and discussions around issues in publishing on campus. So that's my bit for your project. What I'm curious about now is how the field will change with more on-line projects and various styles and genres of writing that academics do online.

No comments:

Post a Comment